Friday, June 19, 2009

Ikea

Here are a few things you should know before going to Ikea.
First, bring bread. You must leave a bread trail behind you or you will never ever get out on your own. Trust me. Second, don't buy anything unless you know it will fit in your car. Seems like common sense I know, but thought it was worth a mention. It was great when it started to rain on the way home. Don't worry, we are not white trash all the time.

Third, if let your kid push the cute kid carts around Ikea you are in for a long trip. Sure at first it is super fun, but after about 20 minutes of walking at a snails pace as they navigate through the store you want to die and regret fully your decision to not strap them into a regular cart. And lastly plan on your child using the .99 cent shoe horn as a weapon. They can and will hurt themselves and possibly others. Luckily the lady who Blake hit was kind and just kept walking.
The trip was worth it though and we now have cubbies for Blake's toys! I am looking forward to filling it up and organizing it tomorrow.

14 comments:

It's Been a Day! said...

great choice on the shelves. at least it wasn't sticking out the back of your car!

Dan and Merideth said...

I love that piece of furniture!

Gina said...

I have been wanting one of those. It looks cute in your place. :)
Ikea is always a big adventure.

merathon said...

looks perfect! i've always wanted those cubbies too, but we don't have the right spot for them! i'm sure you already anchored them to the wall, right? :)

Angie said...

I love those shelves! How exciting. I still have never been to Ikea. I keep hearing too many horror stories of people being there for hours!

Janel said...

It sounds like you had a great time with family. What a great shelf for toys. We miss you guys around here.

Whitney said...

I have been checking your blog so frequently waiting for an update! I'm glad you had fun on your trips, minus the getting sick. I also think Ikea is a bit too much to handle. I don't enjoy it with kids either. I like what you ended up with though, it looks great. Call me sometime and we can catch up! We miss you guys.

Corinne said...

just another word to the wise...when setting up THAT very shelving unit...don't use a hammer, you will punch a hole in the wood.

looks good.

mama bear said...

So true! We've even had to turn around and return items that just wouldn't fit in the car.I love/hate Ikea, and will be finding one wherever we move. I love those shelves, great choice!

Amy said...

I want one!! I need to go to IKEA so badly. Perfect for toys

Unknown said...

If I had a dollor for how many times I go to IKEA, buy something that is like 12 feet high, and am so excited to get it home but then remember after I have bought it that I drive a Honda Civic and a 12 foot anything is not going to fit in my car. Thank goodness for a little bungee cord and duct tape.

Amy said...

Man, that's a lot of toys for just Blake!! Maybe some of Matt's toys can go in there too.

Love the shelves. My sister had them and loved them. I wish we could get some too. Maybe after we quit moving around every five seconds.

Loved the wedding pics and all the Thursday Threes. I've missed new posts and was glad there were some. Hope you're feeling better.

Barb: said...

I've left IKEA before with a bigger box than would fit in our trunk--3 adults plus a carseat in the back of a sedan is not fun (it only fit in the front seat). How's everything going? Are you planning to buy a house soon? Just trying to figure it all out from your posts... We miss you guys!

mary said...

oooh! i LOVE this piece. we had the same one except it had a bigger hole for a TV in the middle and it was my favorite piece of furniture EVER. . . i TOTALLY regret the day i sold it before we moved. . . aargh. let's not talk about it.