Monday, February 15, 2010

Blake



Blake is making me crazy. I know when you see his cute face you can't imagine him ever doing anything other than make you smile, but don't let him fool you. Blake is his own man. He is super stubborn. I wonder where he gets it??

Right now we are battling out the Potty Training. Before any of you calculate just how old Blake is....STOP. He really should be all done but allow this post to explain. Here is what is making me so mad. He can do it. He has been pooping on the toilet for a few months. He just refuses to finally conquer the pee. After some tears (mostly mine), lots of clean up and many loads of laundry, I finally have decided that he'll just do it when he wants. He has a track record of taking his sweet time.

  • Walking - 14 months. He could totally do it but just refused. It was funny to watch his buddies run circles around him for months.
  • Eating Solid food - 12 months. Yes, most of your little ones start about 4-6 months but Blake REFUSED anything but liquids until he had a full set of teeth! It was crazy.
  • Talking - I don't remember when but let's just say he kept to himself to quite awhile. He was happy with his "noise" for communication. If you know about the noise, I hope your ears have recovered.

So, I guess on potty training we are on Blake Time. He can do it. We both know he can but I can feel him holding out on me. I am sure one day I will be so glad that Blake knows what he wants and how to get it but for now we'll just keep buying diapers.

Side note: I would say leave your advice and you are welcome to do that but chances are we have tried it. Most things seem to backfire or have zero effect. Take for instance our sticker chart. Notice how many stickers there are. Really Blake, how many more stickers do we need to go through to figure this out?

15 comments:

meredith said...

His face IS so cute.

Gina said...

He is cute. And I so understand. Nothing worked with Jackson. NOTHING! It was a nightmare- but eventually he decided to do it. It's so frustrating- messy- gross and-- did I say frustrating? I just always try to remember, nobody goes to college still peeing their pants right?

mama bear said...

I tried to convince Kody that he couldn't be a Sunbeam until he was potty trained. No, it didn't work. Don't worry, one day it will just click. At least he poope in the toilet! On a side note, I love the "p" stickers on the chart.

MichiganMarshes said...

Everybody gets it eventually. His future spouse will never ask him how old he was when he was fully potty-trained :)

Christy said...

hi megs. it's roommie here. can i just tell you that this post made me feel SO much better? sophie has been a hard one to pottytrain (although she has the opposite problem. won't poop in the potty.) and so it's nice to hear that soemone else is struggling. so thanks!

Corinne said...

That sticker chart is awesome. Good thing Blake's so stinkin cute!

Jessica said...

I am NOT going to try to offer advice, except this...WAIT until he is ready so you don't have to deal with all the crap (sometimes literally) ;)

Amy said...

Oh, I SO LOATHE potty training!! I've only done one kid, but it did not go as I'd hoped. I'm not looking forward to Dallin's go of it.

So sorry for all the frustration! I'm sure he'll give in and just do it some day. Have you tried letting him hang out for a long time in wet/uncomfortable undies?

Anna and Jon said...

Cool. Are those Monsters Inc. stickers? My non-expert thinking says that you guys recently moved and it's a lot for a little guy to handle so he's controlling what he can?? :)

mary said...

oh megs! it's funny - there was this couple on dr. phil the other day with the same problem. their boy is older and still purposefully wets his pants. they came to dr. phil for a solution and after a big buildup with the couple sitting on the edge of their chairs dr. phil says, "you just need to find his currency". lol. the couple was like, "huh?" ha ha. anyways, so you know you're not alone. good luck!!

amydear said...

He's much too handsome to ever cause any trouble, so I don't believe you. : ) I have no comment on potty training except to say it's my least favorite part of parenting.

Stapletons said...

Yes, Timmy won't tell us when he has to pee, and I've just decided to enjoy that he at least poops on the pot. My sisters kid won't poop on the potty. So, we joke that with our kids combined, we have ONE fully potty trained kid. :) I think your smart to just let it happen when it happens. Sure miss and love you guys!

jamie said...

ugh. sorry about this. tatum was a mess, but only for about a week and that drove me absolutely bonkers so i can't imagine how you must be feeling by now! i've heard boys are always stubborn about this so i'm NOT looking forward to potty training teague.

It's Been a Day! said...

blake is great. and i can't believe i just barely saw this post. my bloglines is super slow and annoying.

i have no idea where he gets his stubborn streak!

but between blake and avery we have one potty trained kid! Now if Blake could teach Avery how to poop and Avery could teach him how to pee, we'd be all set!!

merathon said...

my bloglines has been so slow too-- it is ANNOYING.

this post brought back memories because kendall was SUCH a pain to toilet-train. . .remember?? you guys were there watching her in boston when she was FINALLY getting it, but we tried for a full year before that. (we had the bursting at the seams sticker chart too!) one day, it just clicks. i don't know what makes the difference with each kid, and if i did, i'd publish a book and be rich, but SOMEDAY it will happen. don't stress!

berkeley trained herself, so maybe you'll get super lucky your second time around too! (who knows what i'm gonna be in for with emery. . .)