Saturday, September 5, 2009

Every Gym Has Them...

I recently joined a gym and am finally getting comfortable with all the machines and knowing where things are. I have only sat backwards on a machine once and quickly figured it out before anyone saw (at least I like to believe no one saw). I have perfected the "stretching of my calves" as I casually glance at the directions for machines I am not familiar with. I think it was my sister who pointed out that the directions are on the machines for a reason, but somehow I still feel like a loser stopping to read how they work.

Here are my favorite people at the gym:

Intense lady who goes to every class. She doesn't just attend, but she is always doing something extra. When everyone else is just walking it out, she is walking it out and pumping her arms in the air. Give it up lady, you are not better than everyone else.

There are the group worker outers who always seem to be having a good time and working hard together. In my case it is two guys and a girl. Maybe one day I can be your 4th when you do your sit-ups. Would it hurt you to just ask?

Then there is the guy that is too cool. When I showed up to spin class and put on a bandanna just like his, he left early. Chill out, there is room for two of us, cowboy.

Then there are the guys who chill in the free weight section who are super intense and act like I am in their way when doing my lunges. Just because we can't swap steroid stories and give each other supplement advice doesn't mean we can't share the mirror.

I am sad that I will have to quit this gym. It is too far from our new house. I am really going to miss my new friends.

19 comments:

Angie said...

This is too funny and so true! There are always those people at the gym and it's absolutely hilarious. Hopefully you will be able to find a gym closer to you that will maybe have some better people.

Janel said...

Ha ha ha! You crack me up. I just wish we were still gym buddies. I miss you, Megan!! I hope all is going great!!!

Amy said...

this made me laugh so hard, because it is so true!!! and of course the way you wrote it made me laugh even harder.

aniC said...

i just joined a gym a few months ago for the first time ever. it is most definitely an interesting breed of people. like the woman yesterday who followed me and had to use every machine i did but doing 50 lbs more.
and i feel you one the using machines and reading directions. the whole experience is just very nerve racking.

MichiganMarshes said...

So true! I'm sure that you'll find similar new friends at the gym that close to your new house.

merathon said...

it's okay, megs. maybe you'll become best friends with "too short shorts" guy and "too much cleavage" chick at your new place!

mama bear said...

love it! at least they give you something good to write about, it's a shame you'll have to leave and find a new gym.

amydear said...

New house? What fun! Can't wait to see pictures. And keep on wearin' that bandana. Mr. Too Cool guy will just have to get over it. Spin away, sister!

Amy said...

This is really funny. May, going to a gym sounds SO intimidating. I'd never survive. That's why I just don't exercise period. That, and because I'm lazy. :)

Amy said...

And what's the deal with you having like six friends named Amy?

Unknown said...

Oh my gash! I think we may go to the same gym. Or perhaps there are universal "crazies" at every gym across America.

Bingham Bunch said...

I haven't had such a good laugh in a while! Ha! As I read this I was remembering the lady at the gym I went to in Fort Worth who would blow dry her entire body. Sigh...sometimes I'm glad there's no gym here!

Christy said...

you are so funny megs. i love reading your blog because it reminds me of being your roommie. you write just like you talk and i love it (and you) lots.

Whitney said...

Love it! I haven't been to a gym in so long...but I often do stupid things in my basement while working out that I am soooo happy that no one sees. Alan did have to come down and ask me once if I was ok because of the strange sounds I created. I too have sat backwards on a machine before. Only, lots of people noticed and i even remember one guy laughing.

Corinne said...

clearly this post is a huge hit...since I'm commenter #15, you may not even read this....

but, I laughed loud! Need you to live by me so I can laugh hard all day. Or just come visit!!

It's Been a Day! said...

i think there are these people at every gym. i have the guy who gets on the treadmill with his oxygen tank. adn then old lady who gets on with her walker! and then the guy who yells so loud every time he lifts up the weights - probably just trying to get people to look at him and be impressed with how much weight he's lifting.

maybe you should start taking roids so you have a conversation piece!

jan said...

I'm the lady at the gym who makes everyone else feel so much better about their own bodies. They are always thinking, "at least I don't look like that." And they walk out happy. You are funny. love you.

AshleyJ said...

Okay, seriously Megan...so funny. I read it once and laughed pretty hard. Then I read it out loud to Scott and now I'm in tears. Thanks for the laugh.

Melissa said...

How did I not know you had a blog. I'm so glad you didn't quit our gym. I think I know who a few of your "gym" people are and I'm still laughing while picturing them.